Charity Checkout can optionally process Gift Aid for your charity if you’re registered for Gift Aid with HMRC.
What you should know:
- We only submit Gift Aid claims on donations we process.
- We charge a 5% fee on any Gift Aid we process.
- This does not affect any other Gift Aid arrangements that you may have.
- We submit Gift Aid claims around the 20th of each month.
- HMRC will pay you the Gift Aid once it has been processed.
In order for us to process Gift Aid on your behalf, you need to submit a ChV1 form to HMRC by following the steps below.
Note: You must follow all of the steps in this guide even if you're already registered for Gift Aid with HMRC.
1. Download the Gift Aid ChV1 form
Download the form here: Gift Aid ChV1 form (PDF 1.4MB).
2. Open the Gift Aid ChV1 form
To open the PDF file:
- Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
- Install it on your PC.
- Open the ChV1 PDF file using Adobe Reader (i.e. not in your browser).
If you're still having problems opening the file, follow the steps in on the Adobe website for how to make Reader the default program for opening PDF files and then try to open it again.
3. Fill out the ChV1 form
Your Details (Pages 1-5)
Please fill out your charity's details and contact information.
For 2. HMRC Charities reference on Page 1, enter your Gift Aid number. This usually begins with 'X' ('CR' if you're registered in Scotland, 'CH' if you're a Community Amateur Sports Club). If your charity does not have a Gift Aid number or if it's pending, please put an 'X' in the field.
The Changes to the nominee and collection agency details section on Page 4 is already filled in for you. You don’t need to fill in any of the other fields on this page.
Declaration (Page 6)
Two people from your organisation with the role of authorised official must fill out the required information.
Confirm What You've Filled Out (Page 7)
Tick the boxes for the sections of the form you have filled out.
4. Submit the form
Once you've filled out the form in Adobe Reader, you should print it out, sign it and date it.
Please post it to HMRC, using the address below:
HM Revenue and Customs
Charities Correspondence SO708
PO Box 205
Once HMRC have received your form, the application process can take up to 30 working days.
You can call HMRC on 0300 123 1073 about your application, if you have any questions.